I use the light over my stovetop as a nightlight, and it burned out, as it does once per year. The bulbs are cheap – less then $5.00 – and I’m convinced that they last longer if you keep them on 24-7. Why not? Having that light over the stove is a HUGE help and difference when cooking and browning yum-yums. You need to SEE what you are cooking. Not to mention when you have guests who need to get cold water from the fridge. Fiat LUX!
Changing the bulb involves opening the hood and seeing the fiberglass grease filter batting. You need to change that too so your grease fan will actually work. Every HomeDepot or small town Ace Hardware/Tru Value store will have that filter batting. Cheap. It’s just a matter of doing it. Either take it to the store with you, or measure it if yours is especially… shameful.
Frankly, if your over-stove isn’t a greasy mess, then… I’m ashamed of you. Fish don’t fry in the kitchen, beans don’t burn on da grill… Took a whole lotta tryin’, just to get up dat hill….